Thursday, July 23, 2009

The Temple

The paint is still wet on this one. I know I will retouch it another 50 times before I am satisfied. But the blog beckons ;)

2 months back, when Ram saw this canvass with a frame on the roadside and a FREE sign on it, he picked it for me. I have never, ever, honestly, in no means been so ambitious - I would not have ventured out to buy a canvass of that proportion - let alone pay a huge price (pun intended!) for it. The original on it were some flowers which I heartlessly painted over with Gesso. I wanted to paint a temple! When I called my brother and casually mentioned how I was defacing the original which some artist must have spent time and love over it :( he even suggested that the original may be priceless and I am hiding it for future to discover it - reminded him of some movie/book! Anyways, I stuck to my original inspiration of painting a temple on it. I must admit that over the next 2 weeks when I just walked past the whitened canvass, I felt overwhelmed and daunted by the task.


In a whim, I decided to follow a suggestion from a friend and tried a variation in the skies, dividing into 3 stark colors. I have mixed emotions about the result. The temple is the Madurai Meenakshi temple - with one Gopuram and the temple pond. I have hesitation in even saying so as I may have made gazillion mistakes in copying the beautiful architecture and layout. So with due humility, I present you "The Temple".

1 comment:

PK said...

Hi Pushpa,
This is Phani - your balavihar student Sridevi's mom. I stumbled upon your blog on accident and am so glad I did. I have bookmarked this now. You are so talented and creative in every sense. My respect for you just increased multifold. I love your paintings/sketches and poems. Looking forward to more....