Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Appa's paintings and sketches


Can you imagine how it is to grow up - watching and admiring your parent excel in something you dearly wish to also accomplish...For me, I loved having Appa as my role model and he encouraged me all along! My father has done them all - be it a painting on a porcelain pot, or a mural on the wall, or pencil sketches, or a etching, or a clay scuplture or quick paintings on greeting cards or a touch to my biology drawing.
(The painting on the right adorns the walls in our Coimbatore home.. the lady with the wet clothes clinging to her body as she ties her hair. Many have asked Appa why she did not turn around-uh-hum..)


(The coconut tree is part of the large mural in our living room which catches the eye when you enter our home.. Appa drew this along with the beaches and water rushing to the shore.. I leave it to you to imagine it!)

When he talks with nostalgia about his childhood, it is amazing to see his passion - in those days he has made use of all means - including the backside of calendars, or of tickets. He loved to do sketches with pencils and pens - esp Damsels :) that may have caught his eye (The pencil sketch on the right is signed with his name and date of 1957 - that is over 50 years back.)

I have some of his paintings and drawings which I preserve as the treasure. Sadly these days, he does not touch his pencil or paints inspite of our pleas.

3 comments:

NSA said...

These are lovely. Looks like you have taken after his talent:) Kudos to your Dad.

Rajalakshmi said...

Good treasurable childhood memories...

Rani

Nanda said...

Nice. Both the lady with the wet saree and the one sitting are tough to execute. It is a gift to have such talents. When I took a short (10 classes) sketching class last year, I did copy similar pencil sketches. What I realized was that the beauty can be captured in just 2-3 simple lines contoured perfectly. Copying them was easy..but drawing them the first time needed immense talent and practice both of which are displayed here.