Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Lesson on Painting or Patience

Oil Painting came as a suggestion or hint from a friend - she felt I needed to not only learn a new medium which will give me more satisfaction than the usual acrylics I dabble with but it would teach me patience. Well, I took her advice and after spending few dollars on the oil tubes, the turp, the palette, the easel (heheh!!) the canvass (wait I am not done yet!) the brushes, I started my first painting. Yes, I had to pick the tough one! Remember the lady with her wet back that Dad had painted (blogged in earlier posts), she was my first subject. Very soon, I learnt this was not an overnight job. I had to wait for the paint to dry!! What?? For someone like me who is like an instant gratification person finishing super-quick projects - sigh and double sigh! And after 2 months with a vacation in between, I am willing to call this painting "done"! I have a new-found respect to those who paint with oils!


I did try other smaller paintings like a fall scene. I had observed someone paint with oil paint and facial tissues are dabbed to give a bumpy popcorn ceiling effect (i am sure there is a technical name!)

Then the 2 storks silhoutted against the moon was more finger painting than with brush ;)



I am liking this medium more and more as I experiment more. This "Monk" is a gift to Ram because he is the Monk Wisdom Unlimited http://monkwisdomunlimited.blogspot.com/. I have an order from him to paint more Monks!! Well that is encouraging :) Is it because he too feels that oil painting teaches me patience???


6 comments:

Vasanthi said...

Great paintings, Pushpa! cobble stones, shadow, sun light amazing!

NSA said...

Loved the lady, I think its stellar. Like the monk too, seems very serene. I like oil too. It forces patience on you and each time you render another part, you keep getting better and refining your previous layer. Gives you an inner sense of satisfaction. Looks like you have taken to oil completely!

Subu said...

The lady has come out really well. The wrinkles of the Sari when its wet...well captured :)

Anonymous said...

Can never forget the paintings... The lady and the ship... Along with the waterfall and coconut tree in the living room....

MAA said...

Short of words to express your talent and your insights for each. God bless u..hema

MAA said...

Short of words to express your talent and your insights for each. God bless u..hema