Sunday, June 21, 2009

Swans and Saints

We had wandered into Amma's ashram in San Ramon. Amma was not in town but we decided to stroll around the ashram.. the prayer hall that echoed with our footsteps, the rose garden that was filled with offerings of blooms, the dinner hall which was large and vacant, but sound of the devotees ringing in my mind as they would have thronged this same place when Amma would have been there. A walk further into the woods and the eyes caught a dash of white. Curiosity dragged the feet and the further we walked, it was almost ethereal - 2 swans in the lake surrounded by thick foliage. Hinduism does equate swans (hans) to saints. We missed Amma but we saw them.

This pencil sketch was a quick 1 hour job the next day though I did have a picture to go by. I dont know if it is my photographic skills but the original looks much better in our study than what is on the blog :)

2 comments:

NSA said...

Wonderful description. Similar feelings for the pond engulfed me, but I am not a follower of Amma, so cannot comment on that.

Monk said...

Lovely!!! Togetherness enhances serenity